Listen, I know you've gone over all this with Detective Suby, but would you mind telling me what happened?
Burke, Questioning Kimberly on how she knew about the pile-up.
Thomas Burke is a main character and the deuteragonist of Final Destination 2. He is a highway patrol officer, and a survivor of the Route 23 pile-up. Thomas and Kimberly Corman are also the first known characters that were able the cheat death entirely in the entire series.
Thomas was born in early 1980's in White Plains, New York. He resided in Westchester County, and is one of the stationed police officers in the Route 23 sub-station. Besides highway patrol, Thomas also performs secondary tasks such as police investigation and crime scene cleanup. During a stake-out with his partner, Thomas was reassigned to clean up the remains of Billy Hitchcock, avoiding a fatal shoot-out which took his partner's life.
Final Destination 2When Kimberly Corman stalls her SUV in the middle of the road after having a premonition of a pile-up in the highway. The drivers behind her, including Thomas, complained about her interruption until vehicles ahead crash one another and explode in the highway. As a result, Kimberly was later interrogated by Thomas at a police sub-station, where Kimberly explained that her vision was very similar to Alex Browning's vision, and that they are now all in Death's List.Thomas and the other survivors disregard this until survivor Evan Lewis dies the next day, alarming the survivors about the incoming danger. After researching on the disaster of Flight 180 and the news on Alex's death, Thomas willingly agrees to Kimberly to save the group from Death with the help of Clear Rivers, the last survivor of Flight 180. Nonetheless, their attempts prove unsuccessful. Clear suggests to the couple to meet with mortician William Bludworth, who helps the latter by claiming about how new life can defeat Death. Kimberly realizes that pregnant survivor Isabella Hudson can save them, however this proves false since Isabella was meant to live even in the premonition.After Clear and Eugene's deaths, Kimberly sacrifices herself for Thomas' safety by driving the van she is riding to a lake, however Thomas rescues her and sends her to a hospital for recovery. Thinking she and Thomas finally cheated Death, they went to a picnic with the Gibbons family, who tells them how their son Brian Gibbons was saved from Death by the survivors. To everyone's surprise, Brian is incinerated nearby due to a barbecue grill malfunction.
Death AlternativeA newspaper clipping shows that five years after Brian Gibbons' death, Burke went to a hardware store to buy supplies, and met Kimberly inside. As they greeted each other, an unmanned vehicle began to drive down the road until it crashed into the store, nearly killing Kim and Burke.
They rushed outside the back door at the last minute only to come into contact with a woodchipper, which failed to shut off. Kimberly got her coat caught inside the machine and was slowly sucked in. Burke tried to save Kimberly, but in the process, he got caught in the machine too. Both of them were hacked to bits by the woodchipper, their blood splattering all over the wall.
The newspaper article on his death:
- At the top of the page of the newspaper, there is a heading that says "COST OF COMMUTING | B2-3" which could possibly be referencing the Route 23 pile-up.
- The car started the chain reaction used to be owned by Evan Lewis.
- The woodchipper that sucked Thomas and Kimberly in is owned by Brian Gibbons' father
- When Kimberly's diary is shown it says "Road Trip" but her keys are blocking the T making it say: "ROAD RIP"
- When Sam and his friends are on their way to the bridge Sam sees a log truck, foreshadowing the pile-up and Thomas death.
- In the opening credits for Final Destination 5, Logs and his coffe are seen crashing a glass foreshadowing his premonition's death.
- Burke's police call sign is Unit 13.
- Ironically, the machine that kills him is a machine that deals with logs and wood.
Mistakes in his death
- This article is the corrected version. For the mistakes it had see below:
- Note that the article says Route 180 pile-up, when in the film it was actually Route 23.
- The article says the event took place at Lakeview, NJ, but in the film it says they were residents of White Plains, NY.
- There is inconsistency in the timeline of events as described by this article. It says they were both the last survivors of the pile-up that happened three years ago. Kevin specifically said that the Flight 180 premonition happened six years ago, and in Final Destination 2, the pile-up happened on the exact day that marked a year since the Flight 180 premonition. Unless the newspaper article is outdated in the film, as it was covering a homeless man, this creates an error in the timeline.
- Brian Gibbons's father is named Peter Gibbons, instead of "Roger Gibbons". As Mrs. Gibbons had called him "Peter" in Final Destination 2. Unless Mr Gibbons had changed his first name after Brian's death, this is an error.
- In Final Destination 4 it was revealead there was another visionary called Pam Smith who died along with Officer Craig Perry in Joe's Hardware store, after she went there for directions, it's exactly the same plot to Kimberly and Thomas death the only difference is that is mentioned how they died while is not mentioned how Pam and Craig died.
- The pictures of Kim and Thomas shown in the newspaper are of some the promotional pictures of the 2nd film so you can clearly see the outfits they were wearing during the events of the 2nd film.
- His and Kimberly's death article could be false for all the mistakes it has.
- Final Destination 2 (portrayed by Michael Landes)
- Final Destination 2 (novel)
- Final Destination 3 (alternative scene) (portrayed by Michael Landes)
- Final Destination 5 (archive footage in ending credits) (portrayed by Michael Landes)
- Although Thomas was not bring back to life like Kimberly, Kimberly was going to commit suicide by drowning herself and then was saved by Thomas and Dr Kallarjian. Like Ian McKinley said to Wendy in the 3rd film if the last one commited suicide then the others one will be safe. So it can be assumed that's the reason he didn't died after Kimberly was bringed back.
- He is the only survivor to be the officer and interrogate other survivors himself.
- Kimberly and Thomas' Non-Canon deaths are based from a real life death by Brian Morse who was trimming birch trees in Loveland, Colorado, when his gloved hand got caught in a wood chipper. He was pulled through the machine before anyone could help him, his body was found inside completely mutilated.
- Thomas alongside Kimberly Corman are the longest surviving characters in the series. The Pile-Up that was meant to kill them happened in 2001 (Sam's flight ticket in FD5 confirms 5 and 1 are set in 2000 and Kimberly states that FD2 is one year later, making it 2001).
- It is possible Thomas was to have died by the flying gurney in the hospital explosion, killing Clear and Eugene. If Kimberly has pulled him down at the last second, and the gurney passed right over them, exactly where Burke's head would have been.
- In the script of Final Destination 2, he is described as: early 20's, rookie cop.
- Burke's death is considered Non-Canon by producers and therefore it might mean that he is still alive
- In the opening of Final Destination 5, Officer Burke's death in the premonition is referenced by having the drink that spilled distracting him from the road crash into the screen.
- Kimberly and Thomas' Death are considered Non-Canon to the series
|Final Destination 2|
|Isabella Hudson | Isabella's baby | Kimberly Corman | Evan Lewis | Tim Carpenter | Nora Carpenter | Kat Jennings | Rory Peters | Eugene Dix | Thomas Burke|
|Dano Estevez | Shaina McKlank | Frankie Whitman|
|Michael Corman | Detective Suby | Nikki | Tawny | Mrs. Jennings | Physician | Clear Rivers | Jean | Dr. Lees | William Bludworth | Skate Punk | Marcus Hudson | Man in Elevator | Deputy Steve Adams | Mr. Carpenter | Man with Hooks | Frank | Mrs. Corman | Peter Gibbons | Mrs. Gibbons | Brian Gibbons | Mrs. Peters | Rescue Worker | Dr. Ellen Kalarjian | Sheriff Mortimer Perry|
|White Plains, New York | Stonybrook Institution Psychiatric Treatment Center | Ellis Medical Complex | Bludworth Funeral Homes | Gibbons farm | Lakeview Hospital|